The Hexagon of Local Economic Development
The Hexagon is a framework to organise LED training events. It organises the key issues in territorial development around six triangles. Moreover, it is the basis of a number of formats for quick workshops to clarify local stakeholders' perspective at LED.
The Hexagon is the sum of six triangles:
- The target group of LED: Local firms, start-ups, and external investors
- Locational factors: Tangible factors, intangible factors relevant for firms and for individuals
- Synergy: The relationship between economic development, urban / spatial planning and social development
- Sustainability: Combining economic, ecological and social development
- Governance: The relationship between the public sector, the private sector, and local communities
- Process: LED as an iterative process of analysis, action and adjustment
The Hexagon is used by organisations such as InWEnt in their LOCATI LED training programme.
Read more on the Hexagon
Mesopartner Working Paper 03 - The Hexagon of Local Economic Development
Mesopartner Working Paper 05 - The Hexagon of Local Economic Development and LED in South Africa
Mesopartner Working Paper 15 - Revisiting the Hexagon of LED as a framework to strengthen LED initiatives